Sunday, March 22, 2009

The News Drought Is Over

Well, it was quiet here until this morning. Yesterday was a typical Saturday for us: workout at the gym, work in the yard, dance in the evening. When we got home Elaine said her knee was bothering her, but she took a hot soak in the tub and went to bed. About 3:30 Puck started whining to go out. She got up to let him out but when she got to the kitchen her knee was really paining her. Now, we have learned that sometimes when Elaine experiences severe pain she gets sick and light headed. She felt that coming on so she sat down and went to put her head between her knees. The next thing she knew she was laying flat on the floor and Puck was licking her face. She was moaning and hollering loud enough to wake me up. I rushed in to the kitchen and found her laying there holding her head and saying her knee hurt something terrible.
I said "Honey, I can't see anything wrong with your knee but you have a HUGH cut over your right eye!"
She went "What?" and then kind of passed out.
In a few seconds she came back around and I told her,"I'm calling 911". She started to argue with me about that, but I had visions of Natasha Richardson in my head (she died, you know), so I called them. They got here right quick (it's nice to live a block from the fire station), took her vitals, noted with alarm her low BP and heart rate (which we assured them is quite normal for her), immobilized her head and neck, and packed her off to the ER, with me in hot pursuit.
The ER staff all tsk-tsked about her BP and slow pulse, which we again explained, and decided to do a CT scan, just in case. When that came back clear, the doc stitched up her head and we came home.
The knee is fine.
So now I guess we must acknowledge that we ARE getting all stove up and give out. At least a little. Hate to, though. We are having so much fun.
Elaine wanted to mention that we made a rubarb pie today and had Kara, Nate and Michelle over for dinner. The show, after all, must go on.

1 comments:

Applehans Fam said...

We're so glad Elaine didn't have anything worse happen (though 10 stitches is a pretty big deal)! We hope you're back to normal in no time!!!

Also, looking back over previous blogs and I'd love to see another recipe of the day, Elaine. Hint, hint! :) :) :) Always in the mood to try something new!

We love you guys!